Blogs I Find Compelling

Monday, November 30, 2009

Why does God get the blame

My intension this week, was to post a follow up on my last post. However, when I saw this, my mind ceased to function along the path of that post. Check this out. This is so amazing to me, that when I read it, it took me right back to a "church related" school type setting in which the teacher was busy telling us that if we did not pay our offering (money placed in a plate at church services) we would go to hell. Let me quote that again: "If you do not pay your offering, you will go to hell." Does our creator need money?

If you read the link I posted, click here, you saw that a leader in this country thinks that the morality of his people caused these horrible disasters, and consequently their deaths. Apparently, these poor souls are so bad behaved, that God him self had to punish them by bringing all manner of natural disasters down on them.

Why would a loving God, a being that is the creator of the entire universe, be so petty as to destroy someone or ones for their lack of morality? He WOULDN'T! This is rhetorical. You see, morality has become and inseparable part of religion and this is a real problem. Now, I know that this will create a huge controversial storm, but it needs to be said. God did not invent religion! I'll say it again: God did not INVENT religion.....

Instead of pointing the finger of blame, condemnation and shame, is it not far better to rally around our fellow man? In the pursuit of following what Jesus said in John (3 I think): I am paraphrasing; I (Jesus) did not come in to the world to condemn it. So, let us not condemn but rally around and love each other. We are One Mankind.

2 comments:

  1. The politician is not being malicious. His words echo what he has been taught by our religious leaders. In turn, the religious have recognized the power of using God as an enforcer. People who are driven to morality for religious reasons often do so within the context of a religious organization that is very happy to receive their monetary contributions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reminder. Yes, Religion is manmade and so is SCIENCE!!

    ReplyDelete